Virtual Vegan Potluck! Strawberry Citrus Salad
Bright and tangy, this salad features a wonderful contrast in textures, with tender greens, juicy fruit, and crunchy nuts.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (Save 6 to 8 whole strawberries for the garnish and cut the remaining berries in half.)
- 1 bag (10 ounces) spinach, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head bibb lettuce, or 1⁄2 head boston lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tangerines or clementines, separated into sections, or 1 can (4 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salad dressing (see tips)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, for garnish
Combine the spinach, lettuce, halved strawberries, tangerines, and onions in a large salad bowl.
Add salad dressing to taste and toss to coat. Transfer individual portions to 4 small plates. Garnish with the whole strawberries and walnuts.
If you can’t find bibb or boston lettuce, romaine will work as well.
Use your favorite bottled salad dressing or one of the salad dressing recipes on pages 62 to 71.
This salad can be stored in the refrigerator, without the dressing, for 2 to 3 days, if tightly covered.
You can make this salad for a little over a dollar a serving! Yup, still keeping my reciepts